Healthy breastfeeding protein powder is an easy and quick way of getting all the vital proteins while giving the body a much-needed nutrition boost.
As new moms, we often forget how crucial our nutrition is in our support and recovery after a baby. This is why breastfeeding moms need all the essential nutrients and protein they can get. This is where breastfeeding protein powder comes in.
So what exactly is a lactation protein powder, and are they safe to use for lactating mothers?
This article will shed light on why fellow mamas should stock up on these jars of goodness and which breastfeeding protein powder you should choose. Without wasting any more time, let’s get started:
Why Is Protein Essential For Lactating Mothers?
Congratulations! You endured the challenging months of pregnancy and took the journey of bringing a new life into this world. Now begins the next crucial chapter of your life: ‘ breastfeeding.’ There are so many points that need to be taken into consideration when you embark on this oh-so rewarding task.
Once you and your baby are getting the hang of breastfeeding, the most critical area to focus your attention on is your diet. After all, whatever you eat will directly affect your baby’s growth and development. Among the nutrients that your body needs, protein is the one that acts as a building block for your tissues and also encourages growth.
As a lactating mom, you and your baby need an adequate protein level so that your body can repair, build and maintain your organs, connective tissue, skin, and muscles.
How Does It Work?
What makes protein so essential for lactating mothers, and why should they consider investing in a breastfeeding protein powder?
The truth is, consuming a sufficient amount of protein post-partum gives your body an adequate amount of nutrition for maintaining lean tissue and producing nutritious milk. Moreover, when you lactate, your body consumes protein to make breast milk that will give your baby the proper nourishment it needs.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a fitness freak or have a more inactive lifestyle; your protein requirements reach a new high when breastfeeding, as it’s a crucial micronutrient for healthy growth. Several research pieces show evidence of how an increase in protein intake is connected to a faster recovery after giving birth and losing your pre-pregnancy weight faster.
Protein is also crucial because:
- It helps in repairing cells.
- Protein is involved in the process of cell regeneration.
- Protein aids lactating mothers in healing quicker after giving birth.
- It is crucial for healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Why Use Breastfeeding Protein Powder?
If you are successful at breastfeeding your baby, there is nothing better than breastmilk for your little angel. It has the perfect nutrition for sustaining your child’s healthy growth and development. A diet taken from different sources that have a sufficient amount of calories helps boost your energy and milk production.
Let’s look at how lactating mothers can benefit from using breastfeeding protein powder.
- Fulfills daily protein requirement: You can achieve a sufficient protein intake by eating protein-rich sources like eggs, meat, beans, fish, seeds, nuts, and tofu. Even Though many women can get their required protein for supporting lactation from their diet, many may need some help. This is where lactation protein powder saves the day.
- Easy access: Being a mom is anything but easy, and with so much going on, you might not get time to put together a protein-rich meal. There may be days when your baby is clingy or cranky, making you reach for any meal available at that time. These protein blends, such as vital proteins collagen, can come in handy when you find it impossible to reach your protein intake requirement.
- Convenient: Going for a top-quality breastfeeding protein powder gives your body the required nutrition in a super convenient way. For instance, a smoothie doesn’t require any preparation and can be made in a flash.
- Food fortification: Another excellent way of using breastfeeding protein powder is by adding it to your daily diet. By adding protein to pancakes, porridge or yogurt will help to increase the protein intake.
- Boost healing and milk production: Protein powders are an excellent way of boosting milk production and postpartum healing. Those moms who feel nauseous, sleep-deprived, or are super busy, can use the breastfeeding protein powder and avoid eating junk food.
Is Protein Powder Safe For Breastfeeding?
Now comes the next important question, and that is “is protein powder safe for breastfeeding.” The answer is yes; they are safe for lactating mothers because:
- Protein powders for breastfeeding mothers are generally made using clean and organic ingredients, making them free from chemicals.
- They are sweetened using natural sweeteners such as monk fruit, honey, stevia, or can juice. This also gives these protein powders a good taste without using any harmful chemicals.
- They are filling and extremely versatile. You can incorporate them into various recipes and shakes.
- Lactation protein powders are loaded with a high concentration of minerals and essential vitamins, which are otherwise difficult to consume.
- Many protein powders for breastfeeding mothers are plant-based, vegan, and free of allergens such as dairy, soy, and corn.
- Breastfeeding protein powders are first tested to check if they have any toxins or heavy metals before making their way into the market.
Essential Tips For Choosing A Protein Powder
Now that you have heard such good things about protein powder and also know that it is safe to take protein shakes while breastfeeding, we are sure you can’t wait to get your hands on some. But before you do, remember to keep the following tips in mind when you plan on choosing a protein powder. Ask yourself:
- Is my body allergic to any of the ingredients?
- Is this specific protein powder plant-based or dairy?
- How important is vegan certification to you?
- Is there a specific texture that you prefer?
- What is your body’s reaction to different plant proteins and dairy products?
Top 9 Protein Powders For Lactating Moms
Please note that this article contains affiliate links, and that means that I may earn a commission if you buy something (at no additional cost to you). Read my full disclosure here. I only recommend products I use and love and recommend to my clients.
Now that we have the basics sorted, let’s take a look at the top ten protein powders that every breastfeeding mama should invest in:
1. Vital Proteins Natural Whole Nutrition Collagen Peptides
Vital proteins are a lifesaver when it comes to preventing stretch marks, and many fellow mommies can vouch for its exceptional results.
What makes Vital Proteins natural whole nutrition collagen peptides so good at what it does? The answer lies in its ingredients that are proven to increase the skin’s elasticity and makes it suppler. Its ingredient collagen and peptides are sourced from pasture-raised, grass-fed cows, making these full of natural goodies and safe to consume for lactating mothers. Both of these nutrients are important in postpartum recovery. So who wouldn’t want this gluten-free vital proteins collagen peptide blend?
2. Garden of Life Grass-Fed Collagen Protein
Garden of Life Grass-Fed Collagen Vanilla Protein Powder is an excellent option for lactating mothers; not only is it high in protein, but it is also completely natural and contains the important ingredient- collagen. Moreover, it also contains some amazing vitamin Bs that are excellent for super tired mommies. Its super healthy vegetable and fruit blend allows the vitamins to get absorbed in your body and the digestive enzymes aid in your food’s digestion.
Along with protein, enzymes are also vital for our bodies. If the food is not properly digested, your body won’t be able to absorb the nutrients. You can also put its vanilla flavor to good use by making pancakes and smoothies.
3. KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
This breastfeeding protein powder is an extremely clean protein powder option that focuses on aiding you in your weight loss journey. Not only will KOS Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder help you recover quickly, but it will also fulfill your protein requirements and reduce sugar cravings.
Since it’s an extremely clean plant protein option, it is the perfect choice for breastfeeding mamas. Moreover, this protein powder has a great texture compared to some plant protein powders. It also has quite a few flavors, including chocolate, vanilla and blueberry. KOS protein powder is totally organic and non-GMO, making it every mommy’s favorite. Bonuses- it is also keto-friendly and dairy- and soy-free. This is one of my favorites!
4. Naked WHEY
This is hands down the purest, 100% grass-fed, additive-free whey protein powder. It doesn’t really have a promising flavor, but you can always add sweeteners to make it more flavorful.
Along with protein, it also contains essential amino acids that act as the muscle’s building blocks. Moreover, the Naked Whey protein powder is cold-pressed to ensure zero contamination from heavy metals, additives, or chemicals. This protein shake ensures that breastfeeding mommies get the purest protein.
Milk Drunk Lactation Protein Powder
This protein powder for breastfeeding moms is definitely your cherished buddy for both weight loss and lactation. Loaded with protein, milk boosting special herb blend, sugar craving reducing herbs like cinnamon, turmeric, and minerals such as chromium, this is the ideal choice for mamas everywhere.
The Milk Drunk Lactation Protein Powder also contains specific vitamins such as Folate and B12, which are extremely important when breastfeeding. The lactation protein powder is specifically made for boosting milk production and for aiding with postpartum healing. Moreover, this miraculous protein powder is non-GMO, plant-based, and vegan.
Orgain, Organic Protein Shake
This protein powder is super clean and loaded with lactation boosting goodies that you would love your babies to have. Rest assured, as this organic protein powder is made using the purest and highest quality ingredients. The Orgain Organic Protein Shake Powder is totally plant-based and made with a unique mix of chia seed, coconut protein, pea protein, and much more.
The best part is that it doesn’t have an earthy taste or gritty texture that many plant-based protein shakes have. Not only does it taste good, but it also helps to boost the milk supply and healthily shed unnecessary weight.
Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder
Loaded with clean ingredients, vitamins, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, this vegan protein powder is the perfect choice for lactating mothers. Free from artificial sweeteners and chemicals, this protein powder is the perfect pick for post-partum weight loss and milk production.
What makes this weight loss protein powder stand out? It contains a full amino acid profile that many plant-based protein powders lack. This means you will be getting more protein along with digestive enzymes. How cool is that? The Ora Organic vegan protein powder is a top choice among breastfeeding mommies as it is not loaded with bulky calories.
Vegansmart Plant-Based Vegan Protein Powder
Vegan mommies, this one is definitely for you. The Vegansmart Plant-Based Vegan Protein Powder offers a perfect blend of all essential nutrients. Moreover, it contains a prebiotic blend, natural sweeteners, and the amazing Aloe Vera.
On top of all this, it also contains a whole foods blend that is loaded with carrot root, spinach leaf, broccoli, beetroot, and more. The protein is sourced from plants like peas, so if you are vegan, this protein powder will be the best choice you ever made.
Majka Breastfeeding Protein Powder
The Majka breastfeeding protein powder is the perfect pick for those moms who want to increase their milk supply. Its unique blend of fenugreek and fennel does exactly that. The goodness doesn’t stop there; this protein powder for breastfeeding mothers also contains digestive enzymes, probiotics, a greens blend, and a fruit blend.
Moreover, this fantastic breastfeeding protein powder is free from chemicals, synthetics, and artificial sweeteners. It is also non-GMO, soy, and dairy-free, which will make you feel great from the inside out. Who wouldn’t want to get their hands on this jar of nutrition?
So, which breastfeeding protein powder are you eyeing to give your health the boost it needs?